The Internal Affairs Section exists to ensure the integrity of the Pueblo Police Department. It is the responsibility of the Internal Affairs Section to ensure that intensive, impartial investigations of complaints are conducted in a manner that provides for objectivity, fairness, and justice for all parties to the complaint.
The Internal Affairs Section Investigates the following:
- Allegations of serious misconduct, excessive force, and civil rights violations
- Allegations of criminal violations and municipal ordinance violations committed by or in concert with department members
- Officer involved shooting incidents
- All civil cases as requested by the City Attorney
- Any case by request of any department member who justifiably feels threatened by a false accusation or a contrived situation involving false evidence
- Other cases as assigned by the Chief of Police
Any member of the department may be required to assist in an Internal Affairs investigation.
Complaints are received by the Internal Affairs Section via the Citizen's Written Complaint Form, in person, by mail, telephone, department personnel and the Internet online complaint form. Complaints are then investigated by one of the Internal Affairs Section Sergeants.