Public Improvement Fee
The Public Improvement Fee (PIF) at the Pueblo Crossing Retail Center is 0.5% on all sales transactions. Exempt sales transactions are listed below. The PIF is specifically a fee and not a tax; therefore, it becomes a part of the overall cost of the sale/service and is subject to sales tax.
The PIF is collected for the benefit of North Gateway Number 1 Public Improvement Corporation and is used to finance the public improvements surrounding the retail center. The City of Pueblo is collecting the PIF on behalf of North Gateway Number 1 Public Improvement Corporation.
All businesses operating in Pueblo must apply for a sales or use tax license. Even businesses that do not sell anything must obtain a city use tax license. The licensing process ensures that the city has current emergency notification information and that the area is properly zoned for your business activity. You will not need a separate application for a PIF license. The merchant information from the sales tax license will be used to establish your PIF account.
The City of Pueblo, on behalf of North Gateway Number 1 Public Improvement Corporation, offers assistance to help you understand the PIF at the Pueblo Crossing Retail Center. If you have any questions, you can contact the Sales Tax Division at 719-553-2659, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
All sales exempt from City of Pueblo sales tax as defined in Title 14 of the City of Pueblo Ordinances are exempt from the PIF. Some of those exempt items are as follows:
- All sales of food for home consumption as defined in Section 14-4-21(14)
- All sales of medical supplies as defined in Section 14-4-21
- Sales to the United States government; to the State, its departments or institutions and the political subdivisions thereof, in their governmental capacities only, with proper documentation as defined in Section 14-4-21
- Sales to charitable organizations with proper documentation as defined in Section 14-4-21
- Sales of cigarettes
- Sales of newspapers, excluding preprinted newspaper supplements as defined in Section 14-4-21