“The health department’s name was updated to better describe who we are, and what we do. The word “environment” was added to the agency’s name to emphasize the full scope of services provided, and align the name with state health and local public health agencies in Colorado,” stated Sylvia Proud, public health director at the Pueblo Department of Public Health & Environment. Proud added, “The name represents serving all residents in the City and County of Pueblo.
“In 2017, the Pueblo City-County Board of Health recommended a name update to better describe who public health is and what services are provided. This name update was approved by the Pueblo City Council and the Board of County Commissioners,”explained Eileen Dennnis president of the Board of Health. After receiving a formal approval for a name change, the department worked to update the logo it used for the past 30 years.
Proud stated, “We are excited about the new logo ,the colors represent blue for public health while the green represents environment. A modified infinity symbol was selected to represent public health’s work towards improving health and extending quality of life and years of life.”
April 10, 1952 the City of Pueblo and Pueblo County merged their separate Health Departments into one agency effective July 1, 1952 designated as the Pueblo City-County Health Department.
The 2017 update of name is reflected on the department’s campus, vehicles, website, and social media.
“The same great nationally accredited public health services will be provided to Pueblo from the same location, 101 W. 9th Street,” added Proud.
To learn about the services offered at the Pueblo Department of Public Health & Environment visit www.pueblohealth.org or on social media search Pueblo Health