- Your Government
- Resident / Employee Services
- Human Resources
- NLC Prescription Card
- NLC Prescription Card FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
- I just received my card. Can I use it right away?
Yes, just use your card to start saving immediately. Present your prescription discount card at a participating retail pharmacy when you fill or refill your prescriptions.
- How much does the card cost?
Your prescription discount card is provided to you free of charge. You pay the cost of the prescription less any applicable discount.
- Does everyone in my family need an individual card?
No. Everyone in the family may use the same card if desired.
- Can I use this card to get discounts on my pet’s medications?
Yes, if your pet has been prescribed a medication that is also used to treat a human condition, you may receive a discount on the medication by taking the prescription to a participating retail pharmacy.
- Can I use my card to get discounts on over-the-counter products and non-prescription medications?
Not usually. However, discounts are available for many diabetic supplies.
- How is this prescription discount program different from traditional prescription insurance?
This is not insurance; it is a prescription discount program. The card provides immediate discounts at participating retail pharmacies. Upon presenting your card to the pharmacist, you will pay the lower of a discounted price or the pharmacy’s regular retail price. There are no claim forms to fill out and no limit to the number of times you can use the card. These discounts are available only at participating retail pharmacies.
- Can I use my prescription discount card with my current insurance benefit to reduce my costs?
Your card cannot be used in conjunction with other insurance. However, you are encouraged to use your card to purchase prescriptions anytime they are not covered by your insurance plan.
- Can I still use my prescription discount card if I sign up for a Medicare prescription plan?
Yes, you can use your prescription discount card anytime you need to purchase a prescription that is not covered by your Medicare prescription plan or any other insurance.
- Should I use my prescription discount card during my deductible and coverage gap periods of coverage for covered medications?
No. Only use your prescription discount card to purchase non-covered medications.
- Can I use my prescription discount card in addition to my Medicare prescription plan and get additional discounts?
No. You need to present either your Medicare prescription plan card or your prescription discount card. Only use your prescription discount card when purchasing medications not covered by your Medicare prescription plan.
- I’m not going to sign-up for a Medicare prescription plan; can I still use my prescription discount card?
Yes, you can continue to use your prescription discount card just as you do today.
Pharmacy & Pricing Questions
- Which pharmacies accept the card?
The prescription discount card is accepted at more than 60,000 retail pharmacies nationwide, including the major chains as well as many independent pharmacies. Ask your local pharmacy if they participate or visit the CareMark website or call toll free 1-888-620-1749 to find out if a specific pharmacy participates in the program.
- How much will I save?
While savings on each prescription may vary, you can save an average of 20 percent off of the pharmacy’s regular retail prices for prescription drugs. In addition, you may save even more on select medications.
- Will I always receive the lowest price?
Yes. You will receive the best price available to you through this program at the participating pharmacy. On occasion, pharmacies will price a particular medication lower than the discount rate provided by the card. If that occurs, you will pay the lower price.
- Can I find out the discounted price of my prescriptions before going to the pharmacy?
Because prices can vary by location, only the actual pharmacy can tell you the exact price of the prescription. However, you can look up an estimated price for medications at the CareMark website or call toll free 1-888-620-1749.
- Why did the price of my prescription change since the last time I purchased the prescription?
Drug prices may vary from pharmacy to pharmacy. Even pharmacy chains have different prices in their stores depending on the population they are servicing. Additionally, manufacturers’ drug prices change periodically.
- Will I save 20 percent on all my medications?
Because a pharmacy's retail price or usual and customary charge can differ greatly by pharmacy, your exact percentage of savings may vary depending on the prescription drug and the price you have paid before.
- Should I use my prescription discount card at a retail pharmacy with a flat rate generic pricing plan?
Yes, always present your prescription discount card when buying prescriptions not covered by insurance. For a medicine on a generic pricing plan you will pay either the flat rate or the prescription discount card price, whichever is lower.
About Specialty Pharmacy
- What is specialty pharmacy and what kinds of services do they offer?
Specialty pharmacy offers delivery of injectable and select oral specialty medication and supplies to the location of your choice. Services include delivery notification and refill reminder calls to help you stay on your treatment plan. You’ll also receive expert care services including counseling, follow-up care calls, informative disease-related materials and access to health experts 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- What drugs are offered through specialty pharmacy?
Medications for a variety of chronic conditions including multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, cystic fibrosis, hemophilia, infertility, immunologic disorders, Crohn’s disease, Gaucher disease, pulmonary hypertension, Fabry disease, MPS 1, blood dyscrasia, growth hormone deficiency, respiratory syncytial virus, hepatitis C and more are available through specialty pharmacy.