- High School Diploma or GED equivalent at time of application
- At least 19 years of age on or before the date of administration of the written examination
- Must have and maintain a valid CPAT certification at time of interview, and through the rest of the recruitment process
- City of Pueblo will offer CPAT testing for eligible candidates prior to interviews
- Valid CPAT certifications from other IAFF – authorized agencies will be accepted
- A valid, unrestricted driver’s license at time of application and a valid, unrestricted Colorado driver’s license by date of hire.
Here are the steps potential candidates should be aware of for becoming a firefighter. These items are all time sensitive!!!
1. Find our job posting / Information
- Email notice (www.pueblo.us/interestcard)
- Pueblo Chieftain
- Zip recruiter, Indeed, Colorado Workforce Center and a variety of other job boards.
- CHECK YOUR EMAIL periodically
- Job posted through www.pueblo.us/jobs
- Must apply during the application window.
- Once applied, all notices are through email, so check junk or spam if not getting emails. Emails received include:
- Application submitted
- Application under review for incomplete application packages (missing items)
- Rejection notice for incomplete applications and other disqualifying factors
d. Applications may be rejected for a variety of reasons including issues with background, not meeting the qualifications, providing inconsistent or misleading information, unsatisfactory work history, incomplete submittal, etc.
e. We will make attempts at obtaining missing items or clarification on potential disqualifiers. Failure to properly respond will result in a rejected application.
f. CHECK YOUR EMAIL periodically
3. The written exam
- Applicants will be notified of approval or rejection and will be invited to self-schedule for a written exam.
- Applicants will have 2 options for a written exam:
- At our test center – No charge
- Remote – At the applicant’s expense (approx. $21.00)
c. Notices at this step include notice of exam scheduling and additional information about the exam including:
- Exam tutorial
- COVID precautions
- KSA Checklist
- Instructions for exam day
- Notice of passing scores and ranking on the list including veteran points or seniority preference, if applicable
- Notice of failing scores
d. The following will discontinue participation in the process:
- Candidate withdraws from the process
- Failure to appear at the written exam
- Failure of the exam (a score less than 70% on the written exam)
e. CHECK YOUR EMAIL PERIODICALLY
4. Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) offered only to top candidates on the list. Process administered by the FD. See video below.
- Orientation 8 weeks prior to the CPAT (mandatory unless waived)
- Practice sessions 30 days prior to CPAT (mandatory unless waived)
- CPAT test offered prior to interviews
- CHECK YOUR EMAIL periodically
5. Interview – HR / FD function
- Top candidates from the list will be invited to interview as vacancies become available throughout the life of the eligibility list.
- Eligibility lists are valid for two years, so do not be surprised if you are contacted to do an interview up to two years after applying.
- You MUST have a valid CPAT at the time of your scheduled interview.
- If you chose not to do the CPAT through the Pueblo Fire Dept, we do accept valid CPAT’s from other IAFF-authorized agencies.
- Failure to provide proof of a valid CPAT will disqualify you from consideration.
- Remote interviews are available upon request.
- Things to keep in mind for your interview:
- Dress appropriately – attire should be neat, clean, and business professional.
- Prepare yourself by doing mock interviews – practice providing relevant, complete answers that give insight to your skills, abilities, and potential.
- Be confident – tell us why you are the best person for this job, reinforce your answers with specific examples, familiarize yourself with the position so you can tell us what makes you a good fit.
- Do NOT lie - giving false, misleading, or deceptive information is grounds for disqualification from the process.
- Conditional offers are sent to selected candidates soon after the interview process concludes.
- If you are NOT selected as a candidate or an alternate candidate, the department may request that your name be removed from the list, or you may be returned to the list to be considered for future vacancies.
- You will receive a notice from HR stating whether you were selected or not. Following that, you will receive a notice from Civil Service regarding your status on the eligibility list.
6. Post-Offer Activities – HR function
- Selected candidates must pass the following:
- Comprehensive background check including driving record check
- Psychological evaluation
- Drug screen
- Physical examination
- Upon successful completion of the above-mentioned steps, formal offers will be sent at least two weeks before the academy start date
Here are additional resources that might help you further in putting this information piece together:
Fire Service Candidate Physical Ability Test