Drain Murals 2017
Stormwater Education Art Project (SEAP)
DRAIN MURALS 2017
Announcing a paid opportunity
for LOCAL PUEBLO
Rain, sleet, hail, and snow that falls on paved surfaces in Pueblo flows,
untreated, directly into local lakes, ponds, and natural waterways.
We need your art to paint a picture of how important it is to keep the
Arkansas River and the Fountain Creek – and our precious water –
The goal is to educate the public that pollutants that enter into storm
drains effect Pueblo waterways. With the stroke of a brush, you can
make a positive impact on keeping Pueblo safe and beautiful. It’s a
chance to do something good while doing something you’re good at –
|Orientation Meeting - May 9th
FRIDAY, JUNE 9, 2017
The Stormwater Education Art Project (SEAP) is a public art initiative that is meant to raise awareness at street drain inlets. Local artists (aged 18 and older) are invited to submit designs that they will paint on one of five (5) designated inlets, chosen by the City of Pueblo. The size of the drain inlets varies and each location has different dimensions and restrictions. Paintable surfaces will be concrete sidewalk, drain lid, curb and gutter. The SEAP Committee will consider the following when making final selections: Artistic excellence, Technical competence, Scale, Form and Content, and Appropriate Relationship to the function of the site. SEAP coordinators will provide all primer, paint, sealers and drain protection during installation. Artists will provide their own brushes, rollers and paint applicators. For their selected design, each artist will be compensated with a $500 cash commission when installation and sealing is complete.
Designs must include one or more of the following concepts:
- Stormwater pollution prevention (litter, cigarettes butts, vehicle fluids, pet waste, motor oil, soapy water, etc.)
- Aquatics, Wildlife, Riparian Habitat, including native species: (deer, amphibians, reptiles, trout, bass, catfish, magpies, great blue herons, ducks, songbirds, raptors, cottonwoods, willows, grasses, etc.)
- Quality of Life (clean water for recreation, drinking, natural beauty, agriculture, watershed protection, etc.)
- Photos and diagrams of the five specific drain inlets are available to view below (see bottom of page) - Be mindful that some changes to chosen designs may be required to accommodate the specific location. Artists are encouraged to visit the drain inlet in person to get a feel for actual size and sun factors.
- Each storm drain is the property of the City, so each artist must release artwork to the City of Pueblo by signed agreement.
- Designs must be painted on the area surrounding the drain and must run to or incorporate the drain. Most art areas are square or rectangular, but designs do not necessarily have to be within a straight frame.
- Designs may not contain any business promotions or advertisements, nor include any breach of intellectual property, brands or trademarks, or depictions of illegal activity.
- Designs must be public friendly, and be understandable to bi-lingual speakers.
- The final painting must match the proposed design. The City of Pueblo Public Works reserves the right to remove or alter artwork not in the submission.
- Painting of all drain inlet murals must be completed in a consecutive 48 hours, between July 7 and August 15, 2017.
Art submissions will be accepted until 4:00 p.m. on June 9th, 2017. Applicants are asked to submit 1-2 images of proposed artwork and a brief statement of interest (approximately 300 words). Proposed images may be sketches or digital renderings in color. They should properly demonstrate the type and style of artwork in relation to the designated inlet. Please submit images and statement to: Daniel@puebloarts.org or drop off at 410 W. City Center Drive, Monday - Friday 9 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Call 719-242-6652 or use the email address provided for any questions.
All applicants must be residents of Pueblo or Pueblo county. The project is open to all artists regardless of race, color, creed, gender, gender variance, national origin, age, religion, marital status, political opinion or affiliation, or mental or physical handicap.